SCHOENBRUNN VILLAGE COLONIAL FAIR

I demonstrated again at Traveller's Rest for their 'Trade Days' event that they hold every year at this time. Publick attendance was fair despite the dismal and wet weather on Thursday, and unseasonably cold conditions on Friday. On Friday I wore every article of clothing I owned in order to combat the cold, including my apron over my wool coat. When this fail'd throughout the day, I would march about the table I used to display my instruments. The cold gives rise to thoughts of my next appearance at Fort Boonesborough in November and what the weather might be like then. I will have to remember to pack my heavy wool cloak to the Kentuckee region.

Directly after our departure from Traveller's Rest on Friday, the girls and I began our long and arduous journey toward Schoenbrunn Village in the upper portion of Ohio, upon the occasion of their very first Trade Fair to be held there. The girls slept thought large portions of the trip.

We arrived late, well after most civilized people would be abed. Capt. J. Johnson and Sgt. L. McBee, knowing that we would be arriving very late, left a note for me on the front gate to knock loudly to rouse them. They woke and took me out to the 'Cooper' cabin where we would be staying. The cabin consists of two large rooms separated by a dog trot, but in readying it for my arrival, Capt. Jack discover'd that the fireplace in the bedroom had a hole in the stone at the base, and to build a fire in it would invite disaster.

I dragged the tick over to the office where the good sergeant had built a fire, and made up a big bed on the floor in front of the fire. I brought the girls in out of the wagon one by one, put them in their places and tucked them all in soundly.

My night was spent tending the fire, interrupted only by brief bouts of restless sleep.

Image courtesy of Glenn Tharp

No comments: