BRIEF report of the goings on this year at the 'Daniel Smith Days' event held at the beautiful home of the aforementioned General Smith, known as 'Rock Castle'. The girls and I visited upon the first weekend of October of this present year.

I served once more as the aide to General James Robertson and as the secretary who assisted the Indians and dignitaries in their signing of the document. My newest version of the document contains the actual signatures of Gov. Wm. Blount, Genl. Danl. Smith and Genl. Jas. Robertson.

The Treaty of Holston was signed by William Blount, governor in and over the territory of the United States south of the Ohio River, and superintendent of Indian affairs for the southern district for the United States and representatives of the Cherokee Nation on July 2, 1791 near the Holston River and proclaimed on February 7, 1792.

This treaty mentions the following:

Establishment of perpetual peace and friendship between the two nations.

Cherokees acknowledge protection of United States.

Prisoners of war to be restored.

Boundaries established between the Cherokee Nation and the United States.

Stipulation of a road by the United States.

United States to regulate trade.

Guarantees by the United States that the lands of the Cherokee Nation have not been ceded to the United States.

No U.S. citizens may settle within the Cherokee Nation.

No U.S. citizens may hunt within the Cherokee Nation.

Cherokees must deliver up criminals to the United States.

U.S. citizens committing crimes within the Cherokee Nation are to be punished.

Retaliation restrained by both nations.

Cherokees to give notice of pending attacks by other tribes against the United States.

United States to make presents to the Cherokees for the promotion of having the Cherokees take up an agrarian culture.

Both nations to cease any animosities held against each other.

At the end of it, General Robertson looked at me and slipped one of the leftover peace medals into my hand. Says he with a smile and wink, "For you and your service sir." I thanked him and dropped it into my coat pocket. It will be something nice to wear about my neck at a formal event perhaps.

As is the custom of all great men and their estates, Rock Castle was open to tours of interested publick. I was so busy throughout the day that I was only able to get away and into the house itself once, and even then I was not able to tarry there for as long as I wish'd to.

Saturday night was spent in a great outdoor meal and a raffle, wherein the traders at the fair donated prizes to be given away to those in attendance. I ate the Brisket and listened to the music of the harp. Sophia was so tired that she slept on my lap with her little face pressed against my chest. My other girls played with two friendly dogs that had wandered onto the grounds.

Rain and cooler weather rolled in on Sunday morning.

I took my dinner on Sunday at the "King of Prussia" tavern operated by Herr Freudenthal and his wife, located across the road from my normal eatery, "Beggars and Boar" operated by mr. Pennington. The pretty girls behind the counter did their job with great efficiency, batting their eyelashes and selling me far more food and drink than I required. I sat out front and ate with mr. Jas. Apple and mr. W. Milton. Between the three of us we laughed for nearly our entire visit, myself laughing so hard as to have to work not to choke and wiping away tears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was the house lovely? I have heard of it's "romantic" feel.