LOUDOUN Day 2

Saturday March 28- I slept so soundly that I neglected the fire til early the next morning. I scarcely had coals enough to get it going again. I cabin I had been issued had nothing but large pieces of firewood and no kindling. So I scoured the room and produced some old papers from my clever blue box and a fistful of straw from my bedding that had fallen upon the floor. Afterward, I was able to coax the fire back to life.

The morning was grey with light rain continuing from the night before. The soldiers raised the colors in a high wind. A surprising number of the publick were present given the weather.

Skies clear'd and the sun shone through as the soldiers began their routine of musters and artillary drills. I spent my morning walking the interior of the fort and drawing the layout of the place in my journal. I attempted to gather all the information about the various buildings that I could for my records. Several of the soldiers watched me curiously from the doorway of the barracks, but none questioned my actions, so I continued my work.
I was also shown a map of the area by Ensign Bogges that had I believe had been drawn by Pvt. May. The map had been drawn in ink on a thin sheet of sheepskin. It showed the strategic locations of all the forts and indian villages in the area.

I aided Dr. Anderson a bit in the infirmary, chopped my large pieces of firewood into smaller bits of kindling for the next day, and toured the buildings I was not familiar with. Of particular interest was the Officer Quarters, and the Commandant's Quarters at the top of the hill overlooking the entire fort.

I was also introduced to a trader on the premises by the name of mr. Sam Benn who bore a lovely assortment of beads, teas, ax blades &c. Shortly thereafter I was introduced to a local Cherokee woman who offered to give me a tour of the local Tuskegee village.

I got a first hand glimpse into one of the 'winterhouses', which was very warm. The construction was such that it had an open fire in a pit in the center of the house with no chimney. There were openings at the eaves that let some of the smoke out and some fresh air in. The mud walls also aided in holding the heat in.

After the striking of the colors at five and the singing of 'God Save the King' by the soldiers the men lined up for the King's Ration. Every man from all over the fort came out from their afternoon's work to stand in line, and I fetched my jigger and joined them. I stopped after two doses of the King's Ration and stepped into the barracks to have a bite to eat, as I realized my stomach was rather empty. It would be nearly an hour before the community meal prepared by mr. Carol would be ready.

I rested in my bunk for a bit before our supper of stew and fantastic corn pudding. We all gathered over by the bake oven to take our meal.

...to be continued.



1 comment:

Creative for Hire said...

Love the Doctor's Journal add. Somebody's creative. No big deal.