SIEGE JOURNAL ENTRY 2

Friday July 3- Awoke early and made a quick meal of fruit and pastries before opening the hospital for the day. A nearby sutler, of Dr. Clift's aquaintence, gave loan of a great wagon to make use of to haul and operate on the wounded.

I placed Ensign Bogg's folding chair out by the road with my shaving implements, and began my day. Young Hamilton, who has aided me in the past at Fort Loudoun, made himself useful by fetching hot water for shaving and clean towels for the officers.

At about 10 of the clock, shots could be heard down near the beach. I took my leave of Dr. Clift for the moment, so that Lucy and I might travel to where the activity was occurring. We were near the tree line and able to see the French hunting party that had discovered the landing of British forces. I was interested to see the unusual tactics of the green coated rangers and the British-allied natives. Both sides were reinforced until finally, the French were driven back into the fort.

Afterward, I returned to the hospital and we were able to watch the men pass to and from the front lines. I offered them shaves as they passed. Complimentary for the King's men of course, two pense for civilians, sharpest blades in the service. It is the requirement of the Crown that a soldier not have more than three days growth upon his chin.


This particular fellow let me freshen up his shave while his family looked on.

Doctor Clift had the surgical instruments laid out on a long table, which garnered a good deal of interest by passers by.


No comments: