The Siege at Fort Boonesborough

Friday Sept. 25th- I arrived in Kentuckee as a thick, damp fog fell and brought with it sporadic falling weather. These parts have been no stranger to the wet, the evidence being in the rain soaked grounds of my destination: Fort Boonesborough.

I arrived later than anticipated, and discover'd that mr. Farmer, by whose invitation I had been brought to these parts, was no where to be found. I encounter'd mr. J. Hagee at the front gate of the fort and he took me in and showed me where I might bed down for the night.

The cabin was large and used by everyone, being somewhat of a 'common house'. I sat and watched the men come and go, and listened to the ticking of the clock opposite the hearth. It was good to have a bit of solitude, it gave me pause to reflect on the week past, and the goings on that had filled my days.

I took a walk of the fort interior in the dark, no moon or stars shone upon me as I took my turn. I was able to get an idea of the size of the place, much larger and with cabins in greater abundance than Martin's Station.

I retired to my bed and put out the light in the hope that sleep would find me quickly.

There is a barrier of solitude that surrounds me everywhere I go, a fact that I have long since grown accustom'd to. Perhaps the fault lies within myself, I have always been a solitary creature of particular habits and have never met new people well. I find that, after the initial introductions, I have very little else of interest to say.

A new place full of relative strangers, all happy to see the 'Doctor', but I find that, for the first time in a long while, I am lonely.

No comments: