Spring Camp '08

A rainy weekend encampment, but it was enjoyable overall. Seemed like we had lots of new volunteers out, mostly young folks, late teens.

We had a light Militia showing, but went ahead and mustered and played our 'deserter' game on Saturday anyway. I ended up getting caught. It seemed to be well received by those that participated. My plan of dressing one of the teens up in my clothing didn't work out like I had hoped, but what ever does?

The fellow from Bowling Green who stumbled across me was a good sport, and entertained my pleas to escape for nearly two minutes before he fired the shot that gave me away to the militia. I even offered him my pocket watch.

Once he had fired, I realized it would take him a few moments to reload... so I bolted. Young Marcus and Jordan were on me in an instant. Jordan grabbed my borrowed cloak and yanked me to the ground. I was just glad the sharp kilt pin didn't stab me in the throat!

They ended up tying me to a tree in the yard of the Bowen House.

Sold some of my documents, namely my last land-grant and a fist full of colonial money. It's always very popular, but I don't ever sell much of it... mostly because I'm always too busy talking to the public to hock my wares.

Maybe I ought to post some pictures of my repro money here to sell?

Speaking of selling stuff, I met a fellow by the name of James Moore who makes the most beautiful, hand-bound 18th century replica bibles ever. He brought some of his gear and demonstrated the Art & Mystery of his craft, it was really amazing. I only wish I'd gotten to spend more time watching him do his thing. What a genuinely nice guy!

The quality of his reprint is really gorgeous. He's cleaned up the pages and really made them look sharp. I can barely imagine the amount of work that must have gone into restoring it. I highly recommend getting your hands on one of these if you're a re enactor (he claims not to sell to NON-re enactors).

I've added a link to his site, and to the Red River Meeting House sin the area on the left hand site.
<-----------------

Gerry Barker and Maria were there with the wagon and oxen... and on Friday Bill and I got the opportunity to run the plow. It was similar to being pulled by plow handles behind a slow moving 18 wheeler. I never managed to plow a straight furrow, but the experience was fun. I slept like a champ that night too.

Special thanks again to Kris[ten] who braved the weather and came out to take pictures at the Mansker Spring Encampment. And to Eric... who got some great pictures as well, it was good to see you again!

No comments: