A return to Martin's Station

A grim reminder of the dangers that await upon ye frontier.
N a few week's time I shall return to the Powell Valley and Martin His Station in Virginia amongst rumors of unrest between the settlers and the Cherokee. Again I have received no word from Capt. Joseph Martin himself, although I have recently decided that he is not very good about returning correspondence. He is a busy man and can not be faulted this one flaw.

This year, circumstance would dictate that my daughters will be joining me on this adventure to the Cumberland Gap. I am fortunate that I have recently retain'd a governess to care for them while I undoubtedly ply my trade.

Capt. Logan on horseback.
Attempts have also been made to communicate with Capt. Logan, to no avail. I camp'd with Capt. Logan's unit last year and have found him to be a most amiable and generous fellow.

I shall be honest when I say that war with the Cherokee seems imminent. If you have read my journal before, you will recall then, dear Reader, that I have been placed in dangerous circumstances in the past. I have no doubt that this will be another in a long string of such events. You might recall some of my experiences with the Cherokee... I have been distrustful of them since that fateful day in August of '60 at old Fort Loudoun.

As has always been my custom in days past, I shall keep my journal up in ye field and transcribe it here for you, my dear friends, upon the occasion of my return.

I will bid you all farewell for the time being, and should I not be so fortunate as to return home again, know that I most sincerely wish you all health and success; and shall always be, with great respect, dear Friends,

Your most affectionate & obt. servant,
The Doctor

N.B. Whenever your leisure will permit, it will always give me the greatest pleasure to be informed of your welfare.

No comments: