Shadow Portraits

Click on image to enlarge and see the glorious, hand cut details

You may, dear reader, recall the Christmas portraits I had made of the girls that I gifted to their grandparents. There was Lucy (in her straw hat), Molly, and Rose and little Sophia whose portrait had to be done by mail.

These beautiful hand cut portraits were done by Mrs. Anne Leslie of Shadow Portraits, who was professional, fast, and had a fantastic eye for catching the human form with scissors and paper. The three older girls were with me when we met Mrs. Leslie at New Boston two years ago.

I was informed last night by a mutual friend that Anne Leslie passed away in October.

I love the portraits of my girls that she created, they really are like little black snapshots of my children from that event. Lucy in the straw hat she was so proud of, Molly's little mouth before her braces, Rosie with her bob haircut growing out and Sophie, chin up slightly in defiance, not wanting to sit still at all. Mrs. Leslie captured them so perfectly. I put them all together in one frame for myself and gifted the copies. I will treasure them always.

Thank you Mrs. Leslie for the fine work, and Godspeed.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Doctor, these are so charming! I'm sorry to hear of Mrs. Leslie's passing, but glad that she was able to capture your girls in paper. I am sure their grandparents will treasure the gift.

Laura Carpenter said...

The way in which you describe your darling daughters warms the cockles of this grown up daddy's girl. Mrs. Leslie is, no doubt, cutting silhouettes for the angels capturing the ethereal texture of their wing feathers with her talented hands.